S&P500 +1.70%(2,276.98); NASDAQ +2.56% (5,521.06); DJIA +0.1% (19,963.8)
This week’s reports:
- December’s Unemployment Rate rose to 4.7% from November’s 4.6%. Labor Force Participation Rate rose to 62.7% from November’s downwardly revised 62.6%. Nonfarm Payrolls fell to 156K from November’s upwardly revised 204K.
- December’s Average Weekly Hours remained unchanged at +34.3. Average Hourly Earnings rose to 0.4% from November’s -0.1%.
- December’s Markit Manufacturing PMI rose to 54.3 from November’s 54.2. Markit Services PMI rose to 53.9 from November’s 53.4. Markit PMI Composite rose to 54.1 from November’s 53.7.
- December’s ISM Manufacturing PMI rose to 54.7 from November’s 53.2. December’s ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI remained unchanged at +57.2.
- November’s Factory Orders fell to -5.4% m/m from October’s +2.8%.
- Initial Jobless Claims for the week ending December 30h fell by 28K to 235K. Continuing Jobless Claims for the week ending December 23th rose by 16K to 2,112K.
- US stocks advanced, reversing an earlier decline as the Dow Jones Industrial Average flirted with 20,000 for nearly four hours. Equities also got a boost from government data showing that wages in December increased the most since 2009.