S&P500 +0.15%(2,553.17); NASDAQ +0.24% (6,605.80); DJIA +0.43% (22,871.72)
This week’s reports:
- September’s CPI rose 2.2% y/y versus August’s +1.9% y/y. Core CPI rose by 1.7%, the same as in August.
- September’s Retail Sales rose 1.6%, the most in more than two years, from August’s -0.1%. Retail Sales ex. Autos rose 1.0% from August’s +0.5%.
- October’s Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index (prelim.) rose to 101.1 from September’s 95.1.
- Initial Jobless Claims for the week ending October 6th fell by 15K to 243K. Continuing Jobless Claims for the week ending September 29th fell by 32K to 1,889K.
- US stocks climbed to record highs after core inflation rose less than expected, adding to evidence that economic growth continues apace without stoking price increases.